Join our Community

Interested in meeting a fantastic group of people and getting all the latest on PS4 Social worlds?

Confusing name: "Avatar"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IronJoker-iJ, Dec 3, 2011.

?
  1. I like "Avatar" for both, NO change please!

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. I don't really care, call me "whatevah"

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Hmm, I see your point, sort of...

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. OMG yes! Soo confusing, please fix this!

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. IronJoker-iJ

IronJoker-iJ Fashionista
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    OK, so I can't be the only one who is constantly confused by the dual usage of "Avatar" for both the name of the picture on our PSN account profile, as well as the name of our character in PS Home.

[TD&H stranger] "I like your Avatar!" :shades_smile:
    [Me] "Thanks!" :clap:... *bink* *bink* ... "umm, which one?" :bangin:

LOL ... M'k, so anyway, in all the other online communities I have been exposed to, we haven't ever called our in-game selves avatars. Yes, yes, i suppose technically it's correct and stuff, but I still feel we need some distinction don't we? ... well, I do!

I know all the PSN images have "Avatar" all over them in the PSN store, so I'm guessing that wont be easily changed, at least not officially.

So here is my question, if it were up to you, what would you call your in-game self other than avatar?

Here are some of the ones I am used to from MMOs like Everquest and World of Warcraft:
    1) Toon - I have used the word "Toon" (from cartoon I am sure) about 40% of the time.
    2) Character - But the one I have used the most, and heard the most is "Character".

2. Bluejays20092

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    i voting :bangin:

3. crow6828

crow6828 i'm not crazy really

Ratings:
    +0 /0
    well one way you could fix the problem is if the avatar on our id's were are home ones so you wouldn't get mixed up which one they was talking about lol :p. but until we get that choice i am guess you could call the avi's what ever you want :). now the toon thing i am not sure about ( dcuo is my first mmo lol) and i guess you could call it a character. but to me the home is an avatar and the psn id is just a pic lol :).

4. Shaundi

Shaundi Third Street Saints
    Valued Member

Ratings:
    +44 /10
    Personally I usually just refer to the home avatar as exactly that " a home avatar" and psn avatar as.. you guessed it "a psn avatar" but to be honest it's a term I rarely use, I'd never say "nice avatar" to someone on home as I'd be more specific and usually only say to friends "that's a nice top, where did you get it?" etc whereas I may send a psn message asking someone how they got their avatar as I don't see it in the store (I'd expect they'd know I'm referring then to their psn avatar).

The only occasion where I ever find it confusing is when a new game states it has a free "avatar", then it's hard to know if it's for home or psn (though in most cases it is psn so I naturally assume it is

5. gary160974

gary160974 I adore Uzi08

Ratings:
    +22 /11
    Home rewards are usually refered to as rewards for playstation home with all the little copyright marks next to the home icon, everything else is psn

6. Firefly

Firefly Survivor of Sword Arts Online

Ratings:
    +67 /2
    I say "PSN icon" for one sometimes. I think "avatar" is like the movie Avatar, where you control a body in a new world. "avatar" in home is actually pretty apropos.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted